You are probably searching for things to make and sell from home. And why not?! Research shows that 50% of millennials are opting to find a way to make extra money on the side, averaging about $8,000 per year. (source) Selling crafts and handmade projects are a creative way to make cash from your favorite hobbies. Whether you are a beginner or limited in how much time you can invest in your side hustle, finding the most profitable and easy things to build and sell will help you start earning money fast!
Choosing Easy Things to Make and Sell for Money
When you are choosing things to make and sell for profit make sure to research crafts and wood projects that sell on Etsy and trending crafts on Pinterest.
Simply checking out your competition is a great way to guide you towards the most profitable crafts to sell. You will definitely want to sell similar items to start your business. Make sure you don’t copy your competition, but put your own personal twist on a popular product.
Searching Pinterest is a great idea to see what types of crafts and DIYs are trending. Many people love the idea of creating their own handmade projects, but they don’t have the time, tools, or talent to make it happen. Find out what is trending on Pinterest to find popular things to make and sell!
Crafty Side Hustle Business
Starting a craft business can be a fun side hustle project, especially if you enjoy being creative. If your goal is to make money with your craft hobby, then you will definitely want to set yourself up for success from the beginning by treating this as a small business. You should work on including the following into your small business:
- set up a small website
- create an email list
- track your expenses and income
- set aside money for taxes
- use a Small Business Planner (you can download this free Small Business planner here)
If you’re ready to start using your creativity to make money, then let’s jump into this list of the most wanted handmade items that are easy things to make and sell out of wood.
Small Woodworking Project Ideas that are Easy to Sell
These small woodworking project ideas are easy to build for beginners and easy to sell! You may want to sell these woodworking projects on Etsy or at a local craft fair. We’ve put together 10 DIY tutorials for beginners that you can follow to start building your inventory.
1. DIY Wood Storage Chest Project
2. DIY Phone Holder for Desk
3. DIY Art Organizer
4. DIY Succulent Wall Planter
In case you didn’t know, succulents are a trending home decor item! This easy succulent wall planter made out of wood will be a popular item to have in your craft shop on Etsy or to take to the local craft fair.
5. DIY Farmhouse Message Board
6. DIY Rustic Wood Star
BONUS: I also love this example of creating a rustic wood star for a season other than Chistmas!
7. DIY Wood Lanterns Project
8. DIY Hoops Beer Pong
This is a fun twist on a classic game!
9. DIY Rustic Wooden Tray with Leather Handles
10. Simple Step Stool Tutorial
How to Sell Your Wood Crafts
- Create a Brand – Think about how you feel about your favorite brands. Why do you spend the extra money on the items from that brand? What brings you back? Creating a brand is more than choosing a business logo and colors. It’s about creating an experience and community that your audience wants to belong to. You can brand your products through packaging, telling your story, and business cards.
- Price your Products to Sell – Price items competitively. Pricing your items too low can cause them to not sell. If your price doesn’t reflect value, then buyers won’t buy. Pricing too high can also cause buyers to not buy. Research competitors pricing, calculate materials & expenses, labor, and profit.
- Create Seasonal Products – Create products that can be sold specifically for holidays or seasons through out the year. Christmas, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, 4th of July, etc. You can also create items for special occasions like weddings, birthdays, and baby showers.
- Choose a Niche – Focus on a specific niche. Create items that people in that niche would love. For example, you could create rustic farmhouse woodworking projects for people who love farmhouse style. You could focus on people who love pets and create craft projects that have specific dog types on your products.
- Market Your Products – Grow your social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, and Pinterest) to reach a broader audience. Post consistently on your platform and show a behind the scenes look at how you create your designs. This can help establish your brand and build community with your buyers. You can also consider purchasing ads through your social media or on the platform where you sell your products.
Where to Sell Your Wood Crafts
You can sell your items online or in person. There are benefits to selling online like flexibility, lower inventory, and lower overhead. Selling in person gives you the opportunity to create relationships with your buyers and establish a presence in your community.
Places to Sell Your Crafts Online
- Facebook Marketplace
- Handmadeology Market
- Handmade by Amazon
- Made It Myself
Places to Sell Your Crafts Offline
- Crafts Fairs
- Farmers Market
- Local Businesses
- Craft Vendors
- Flea Markets
Do you have a new craft business? Share it with us in the comments!