The internet is an amazing place that connects us with people all around the world. Being able to connect to people any time in any place has created new online teaching jobs to make money from home! The newest work from home jobs that are popping up everywhere are online English teaching jobs. You can get paid to teach English online!
These jobs are flexible, high paying, and FUN ways to work from home which makes them a great stay at home mom jobs. Today I’m sharing best online teaching jobs from home and the companies who are hiring!
Online Teaching Jobs
~ This article may contain affiliate links. I only suggest product or services I believe will benefit my readers. All opinions are 100% mine! ~
What exactly does a virtual online English teacher do?
Online English teachers work with students in a 1 to 1 setting or small group setting teach basic/conversational English to students ages 5 – 12.
Teachers work in an online classroom (each company has their own Skype-like platform) with planned curriculum for each student.
Classes typically last 25 – 30 minutes.
How is a virtual classroom different from a regular classroom?
The virtual classroom is pretty cool! You can talk and see your student/s. You both can interact with the screen by drawing on the screen using a mouse or finger (if your own an iPad, etc).
Since you are teaching English as a brand new language there is obviously a language barrier so it’s important to use Total Physical Response. That just means that you use your voice, hands, and facial expressions as you talk. This helps students understand what you are trying to say!
You will also use basic props…mostly things you have around your house.
Is teaching the same lesson over and over boring?
NO! Every kid is different so the flow of each class is very different. You can make the lesson your own, too.
It’s your job to keep the kids interested in the lesson…so that may mean wearing a silly hat, talking with a puppet, or using a reward system to help keep them engaged.
Top 3 Best Online Teaching Jobs
#1 – Teach Online from Home with VIP Kid
VIP Kid was ranked #1 on Forbes 2017 Top 100 Work from Home Companies!
VIP Kid is based out of Beijing, China offering 1 to 1 English language classes to kids ages 5 – 12. Students are tested through VIP Kid and placed in the program. The lessons are fully prepared and online in a Skype-like platform. The teacher and student can see each other and talk to each other.
Lessons last for 25 minutes and teachers are expected to write a review of the class. Parents and students can leave a review about their class, which can really help you get more students and fill your time slots.
VIP Kid pays $18 – $22 per hour based on teacher experience and bonuses that can be earned throughout the month.
VIP Kid is hiring native English speakers in the US and Canada.
The interview process can be intense, but you can get the best tips for acing the VIP Kid interview here and check out the best YouTube videos to help you get started working with VIP Kid!
#2 – HAWO
HAWO American Academy is the newest online teaching jobs platform from 51Talk, a leader in the online teaching English education industry. Teachers will teach group classes that are 45-minutes long to students in China.
– BA Degree
– At least 1 year of teaching experience
– Experience in the U.S. or Canadian education systems
– Teaching license and certificates preferred (CELTA, CertTESOL, DELTA, DipTESOL, state – ESL endorsement, MA TESOL)
– 51Talk has further defined 6 key characteristics that make HAWO teachers truly exceptional: Personal credibility, Customer orientation, Flexibility, Effective communication, Technical expertise, and Patience)
#3 – Education First EF
Education First/EF Teach English online to kids in China ages 6 to 10 with EF Education First, the world’s largest private education organization.
PRO TIP: During the registration process, candidates are asked for their teaching preference (adults or kids.) Users MUST clarify they are interested in teaching KIDS.
Class blocks are 25-minutes on early weekday mornings and late weekend nights. This rewarding role can be the perfect fit for an already busy life. Teachers can connect from home — or anywhere in the U.S. – and teach the same students week after week.
- Native English speaker with a Bachelor’s degree in any field
- 40 Hour TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification (or willingness to obtain one)
- Experience in early childhood development, teaching, coaching or mentoring is preferred, but not required. Life experiences count
- Excellent cultural awareness, communication and motivational skills
- Access to a headset, personal computer, and wired Ethernet connection
- Willing to submit an online background check, at no cost to candidate
#4 – Qkids
Qkids connects 100,000+ Chinese learners between 5 – 12 years old with you and thousands of other online teachers, tutors, educators, stay at home parents, college students, and all those who have a passion for teaching. If you like starting your day with smiling faces of curious kids, join the Qkids family today!
- Any “formal” or “informal” teaching experience such as mentoring, tutoring, coaching, or alternative education.
- Eligibility to work in the US or Canada with native accent.
- Bachelor’s degree in any field.
Important Online Teaching English Hiring Tip
Do you think working from home as an online English teacher is something you could do?