The kids are heading back to school, so now is a great time to find some ways to work from home and earn money!
There are many opportunities for working during school hours even if you don’t have a college degree or you just want to earn money fast. These 9 jobs are perfect for working around your schedule as a busy mom! You can even get started today!
Jobs that Work Around School Schedule
~ This article may contain affiliate links. I only suggest product or services I believe will benefit my readers. All opinions are 100% mine! ~
#1 Air BnB
Air BnB is a great way to make some passive income, especially if you live in a college town. My best friend from college lives in a small college town, and her husband is a professor. They recently bought a house from a professor who was moving to another school.
They told my friend that they rented their home out to visitors during the big football season for $700 for the weekend! There are 8 home games during the football season this fall. If they can rent out their house for all 8 games they could make an extra $5800 in passive income!
There are also big events throughout the year that they could potentially rent their house out to make money all year.
TIPS: Purchase items to be used by the visitors only. This includes sheets, towels, and any other items you wouldn’t want to share with strangers. Tidy up your home, and take really great pictures with lots of light to use on Air BnB. Market your home to the crowd you want staying in your home. When you write your ad on Air BnB use different wording to attract an older crowd vs. college students.
#2 DIY Handmade Gifts & Crafts
Fall is the perfect time to start selling DIY handmade gifts & crafts. You can sell at craft shows and bazaars that start in September and typically run through the middle of December. The Pottery Barn Store that is at my local mall actually holds a community craft fair each month to partner with local crafters and artists for free.
You could also sell on Etsy or on social media (Facebook, Instagram, etc.). Even if you’re a beginner crafter there are tons of handmade items that you can make and sell. People love to give handmade items, even if they are simple, but many people don’t have the time to create them!
For inspiration, check out these easy Christmas DIY crafts to sell and make during the holidays!
Instacart is a business that pays you to shop at local grocery stores for clients in your general area. You can earn up to $25 per hour shopping with Instacart. There services are only available in large cities. You can input your zip code on their site to see if your city has Instacart services at any local grocery stores.
You will need the following to work as a shopper with Instacart:
- 21+ years old
- Smart Phone
- Lift up to 50 pounds
- pass a background check
- attend an interview and training in your area
#4 Uber Eats
Uber Eats is a food delivery service provided by Uber. Instead of taking passengers around town you’ll be taking food! This delivery service pays between $10 – $20 per hour. Uber Eats is a great way to earn extra money even though it’s not exactly a work from home job.
You will need the following to get started with Uber Eats:
- Valid driver license
- 19+ US / 21+ Canada
- 1+ years of driving experience
- lift 30 pounds
Get started with Uber Eats here!
#5 ESL Tutoring
ESL Tutoring is another flexible job that allows you to set your own hours, so that your work is convenient for you. I work for VIP Kid teaching English to Chinese students. I love this job because I set my own hours and it pays about $20 per hour!
ESL Tutoring Companies
#6 Online Tutoring
You can tutor online as a way to earn money from home. These online tutoring jobs will require you to have a bachelors degree.
#7 Student Test & Essay Scoring
Student testing and essay scoring are seasonal jobs that start at the beginning of the school season. These jobs are very
#8 Search Engine Evaluation
Search engine evaluation jobs are very flexible. You typically have a set number of hours to work, but you can decide when you work the hours during your day. Leapforce is one company that offers search engine evaluation opportunities. They recently have had projects for social media evaluation. You can apply to Leapforce here or find other search engine evaluation jobs on this list of ways to make money from home.
#9 Virtual Assisting
Virtual assisting is a HOT work from home job. Online business owners, bloggers, and traditional businesses are looking for virtual assistants to help with a variety of different tasks. Everything from light bookkeeping to social media management. You can find virtual assistant jobs with companies like Fancy Hands and Time Etc. Or you could start your own virtual assistant business. Check out this post to help you get started as a virtual assistant.
#10 Freelance Writing
Freelance writing is a very flexible job opportunity that you can do from home. You will mostly work on projects and be held to a deadline. But how and when you complete your projects is up to you. Freelance writing jobs don’t require that you have a degree in English or experience even.
Problogger is a great place to search for blogging type of freelance writing jobs. You can also start your own business as a freelance writer. Check out this post about how to start earning money as a freelance writer.
There is so much content being produced everyday from email content, blog posts, newsletters, ebooks, magazines, and more! Proofreading is an important job for business owners who want to make sure they are sending out high quality content. The best part about proofreading is that you can proofread straight from your tablet or laptop where ever you are.
Want more ways to earn side income?
- Start a blog! You CAN make money by starting a blog! I am just starting my blogging journey and you can follow along as I grow my blog on my Monthly Goals Page. Find out How to Start a Blog and follow my Bluehost Guide tutorial on how to get set up. Starting a blog is VERY inexpensive you can get started for as little as $3.49 a month. If you sign up through me you will also get a FREE domain name! It’s really a great deal!
- Sign up for Ebates where you earn CASH back on your online shopping. The service is FREE and when you sign up through my link you will get a FREE $10 gift card to Walmart, Target, or Khol’s!
- Teach English to Chinese students online! I teach with VIP Kid and I love it. This is a very flexible job that I can do while my kids are sleeping and I can set my own schedule.
- Make money with surveys. These are my favorite survey sites that pay with Paypal Pinecone Research, Mintvine, Harris Poll, Toluna, Ipsos Panel, Survey Savvy, YouGov, My Survey, Opinion Outpost, Vindale Research
- Download Apps to your phone that can help you earn money! There are so many options: Ibotta, Swagbucks, Dietbet, Checkout51, and Pal fish just to name a few. Read “Make Money with Your Smart Phone” for more apps to make you money!
- Sign up for Ebates where you can earn CASH BACK! The service is FREE and you can get a $10 gift card to Macy’s, Walmart, Target, or Khol’s if you sign up with me here.
- Become a Freelancer with 30 Days to Freelance Writing Success
- Become a Virtual Assistant with 30 Days to Virtual Assistant Success
- Start a business. See 50+ Ways to Earn Extra Income
- Eat at Home. We just joined $5 Meal Plan to help me overcome the stress of feeding a family of 5 at home for every meal! It’s only $5 a month and you get meal plans sent to your inbox with your shopping list created (which is half the battle!) This will save you time on meal planning, and make grocery shopping even more convenient and order online through Walmart’s Grocery Pick-Up. Order your food online and avoid the temptation to through extra food in the shopping cart. You can monitor your bill as you shop online. And the best part Walmart’s Grocery Pick-Up is FREE and super convenient.
- Work a flexible part-time job online with Leapforce. I love working for Leapforce. I log into my account when I have time and work on projects. It’s super flexible and I always have work available. You can read more on Working for Leapforce.